Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Whose responsibility is Spiritual Growth?

Thanks to Tony Morgan for putting me onto this blog from Tim Stevens. Tim says the following came out of a Q & A with Bill Hybels: "The goal, Bill says (and I agree), is to slowly make believers independent. We (as a church) should focus our attention on introducing people to Christ, and then helping them grow to a certain point. After that--they should feed themselves and focus on helping the church introduce more people to Christ."


That's what I want us to do at The Point. I want us to teach people how to teach themselves. Think about it. Is it the church's responsibility to help me as a Pastor grow spiritually? I've got to feed myself. I've got to know how to study Scripture on my own. I've got to know how to work out my salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12). I've got to pursue intimacy with my Heavenly Father. I've got so submit to God's Authority. I've got to submit to the authority of the Bible. I've got to learn obedience. If it's that way for me, then it should be that way for each believer?

The question now is, how do we move people to that spot? Are you there? If so, what are you doing to move someone else there?

I know there's more that can be said about this. But if there's a five year old who doesn't know how to feed themselves then there's a problem. The same is true for Christ followers. How have you been eating lately?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the real question here is not: How have you been eating?, but Has anyone ever taught you how to eat? (ie. has anyone every taught you how to study the bible for yourself)? If not, don't be embarrassed about that even if you are "five" or twenty five" for that matter. Find someone who is willing and ask them to teach you. They would be honored to share what they know.