Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Good growth vs. Bad growth

Did you know that not all growth is good? Deep down you know this. We see it all the time. It’s good for my boys to grow. They are supposed to grow. If they don’t grow then there’s a problem.

On the other hand, if I were to start growing it would not be a good thing because my growth would probably come around the waist. This kind of growth can result in all kinds of problems. I don’t want to grow anymore. Growth for me would be bad growth.

The same thing is true in churches. A growing church is not always a good thing.

WHAT??? ARE YOU NUTS???

Well, probably, but that’s not the point. Here’s what I’m talking about. I want The Point to grow. I believe God wants The Point to grow. In fact, we are going to grow. But I want us to have good growth. Good growth comes from unchurched people, dechurched people, and people who are far away from God. Bad growth comes when we get Christians from other churches coming because we’re the new cool church in town.

So, how do we experience good growth? It’s called invest and invite. We invest in relationships with people who are far away from God and invite them to a relevant environment where they can safely explore what faith in Jesus is all about (our Sunday Gathering is our entry point environment that we want you to invite your friends to).

My prayer is that God will use The Point to make disciples of people who are far away from God (we’ll be discussing what it means to be a disciple in a few weeks). I so much want for us to experience good growth – the kind that makes our Heavenly Father happy – the kind that sees lives changed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Church Growth is great- however how are unchured people and those that are far away going to grow unless you have someone to help them in their growth- ie Titus 2v3-5? Just a thought