Friday, February 09, 2007

John Mayer concert review

The show was a lot of fun. Females outnumbered males in the audiance 3-1, which is not surprising...it was John Mayer. I had no idea what a great musician he is. His acoustic version of Your Body is a Wonderland, and one other song which I did not know, were phenomenal.

I have a few observations that relate to church stuff. One, before the concert began there was a buzz of excitement in the air. What if we had that buzz before each worship gathering at church? What if people came with that amount of exitement? How can we create an environment where that is a reality?

Two, music is a great unifier. I know that sounds strange when you think about the worship wars that are going on in so many churches, but outside of the church, the outsiders, the unchurched... they could care less about those wars. There were high school students, bald men, single women, couples and mid-lifers all jamming (some with some really sweet moves) to John Mayer. This just speaks to the power of music and why we, at The Point, need an incredible band.

Three, even though the show was great, I left with an overwhelming sense of sadness. Not that I'm there yet, but I have been praying to have a heart like our heavenly father... a heart that breaks for those who are far away from him. My heart broke for John Mayer. My heart broke for the thousands of people at the Colonial Center who were separated from the God who created them and is for them. How can we connect those people with the God who sent his son to die for us? That's my question to God this morning.

The best part of the evening was the time I had with Liz. I love hanging out with my wife. On the way home we jammed to old school Caedmon's Call and Big Tent Revival. It reminded us of a vacation we took to Yellowstone before we had kids. Dates are awesome!

3 comments:

William Bryant said...

WHAT??? You got to see John Mayer? I had tickets to see him in Cologne, it was only 10 bucks and he was playing in this tiny cafe-size place. We traveled all the way out there, and the sign said "John Mayer ist ausgefallen"-- canceled! We were upset, and I agree that he's a great musician. I was in Columbia Friday night, too...

Anonymous said...

how do you know he's not saved?

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.