Friday, March 30, 2007

Matthew 7

My favorite section of the Bible is Jesus' sermon on the mount. I don't know why, but I'm continually drawn back to this amazing monologue over and over and over again. It's so rich and deep and unattainable and mysterious.

Well, Mitch and Will and I are reading through the Sermon on the Mount and this week we're reading Matt. 7. This chapter always leaves me a bit uncomfortable. There's the part about the speck in other's eyes and the logs in my eyes (Which leads me to ask which logs are in my eyes that I don't know about?). You've got the section about how you can only enter God's Kingdom through the narrow gate (I know Jesus is the only way to the Father, but you've got to admit that what Jesus says invokes more questions than provides answers.). Then there's the verses that talk about what a true disciple is (it's an obedience thing...read it...it's good stuff).

But I am continually blown away by verse 29. It says that Jesus taught as one who had real authority. There is real authority in God's word. In it we get a glimpse into the thoughts of God and the ways of God (which we'll be talking about on Sunday). There is just such value in spending time reading, thinking about and contemplating the Bible. What have you read today? You don't have to believe it or agree with it... just read it.

No comments: