Monday, April 02, 2007

I will give you rest

Don't you just love those hopeful, yet so many times fleeting words of Jesus. I've been in a reading rut lately. It's not that I don't want to read, it's just that I don't have time or energy lately. I know...it's really a personal problem.

Well a month ago I ordered a few books from Amazon and just received two of them in the mail (I think they were back-ordered). One of the books I got is The Rest of God: Restoring your soul by restoring Sabbath.

I've always been intrigued with Sabbath. I think it might possibly be the most broken of the Ten Commandments. We don't know how to rest. We're freakin' Americans for crying out loud. We work our rear-ends off at a job and then run ourselves to death getting our kids to their myriad of practices and recitals and all the stuff that normal kids do these days. Then we slave away to have the perfect (or semi-perfect) yard and shiny car. We're always on the go, and when we do stop our physical bodies our minds continue going at light-speed.

There are so many times that I think of Sabbath as a luxury. But to God it's a command. I am looking forward to diving into The Rest of God. Who knows...there may be a series that comes from this sometime in the future...oops, there I go again turning Sabbath into work. Maybe you should just go and buy the book.

No comments: