Saturday, August 29, 2009

I love that Hub City Church meets in a movie theater for our Sunday worship gathering. There's something to being portable that is healthy for us right now. It helps us remember that church is more than Sunday, it's more than a building, it's more than one hour a week. Church is a family. We have the amazing privilege of getting to use a movie theater once a week as we gather for worship.

Well, a friend sent me this blog yesterday about having a portable gathering. I thought it was really good. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I like that we are portable. Granted, I have pretty much zero responsibility when it comes to making us that way, so I can't speak much to the effort it takes to do that week in and week out. However, on a purely selfish point, we probably would not have come to Hub City initially if it had been in a church building. The theater seems much less intimidating, more accepting, laid back...

Another thing from the article kinda... I really liked that you were there greeting when we first came in to Hub City. I remember being totally shocked to find out you were the pastor and that I had just had a whole conversation with the pastor's wife... At the time, that was huge! You seem comfortable doing that, like it's not a huge chore like setting up would be... Do you do the set up in the morning? Is it important to you to show up with your family at a later time? Just wondering if there was a way to free you up like that...

Jonathan Everette said...

I'm really blessed. I show up at 8 just like everybody else, but do very little set up. We talked about that before launching. It's too distracting for me to set up and speak. I might help with one or two things, but mainly I try to make the rounds, talk with and encourage folks, and the find an empty theater to go over my sermon and try and pray. Francis Creel is the real guy that's in charge on Sunday, so if there's a problem then he's the go-to guy, not me. In other words, I'm pretty free. Our awesome team makes that a possibility for me.