Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hand in hand

I was reading 1 Corinthians 16 this morning and came across these verses: 8But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, 9because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.

Does anything jump out to you in those verses?

Paul is going to stay in Ephesus because a great door for effective work has opened to him. I love that. I want a great door for effective work to be opened to me, to Hub City.

But the verse doesn't end there. Notice the last part of verse 9. There's an "and" there... and there are many who oppose me. It's like the great door for effective work and opposition go hand in hand.

I want the great door, but not the opposition. But it looks like they go together. Just thought I'd share that today.

3 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

That's really powerful. I think alot of times we see it as "confirmation" we are doing God's will when all the obstacles just peel away in front of us, leaving us with a clear, easily navigable path... how often does that happen?

Just curious. Why is the title of your post "hand in hand"?

Jonathan Everette said...

because the "open door" and "opposition" go "hand in hand." It was the first thing I thought when I read the verses.

Jaimee Holmes said...

Yes, and you actually said that in your post! I'm not hitting on all 3 cylinders today apparently! lol