Monday, June 08, 2009

The missing "H's"

I'm meeting with this group of church planters tomorrow and I'm supposed to do the devotion. I'm not really big on devotions. Most of the time they are a waste of time, so I wasn't all that excited to be asked to "devote." But then I read this yesterday.

I cried. It completely broke my heart. Pray for Gary, his family and his church.

But it helped me to know what to talk about tomorrow. I think that there are two character traits that are lacking in many church planters. They both begin with "h". They are holiness and humility.

The two go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other. We are commanded to be both holy and humble.

We sacrifice holiness by chasing cool and we more known for pride and ego than for humility.

I don't want that to be said of me. So here it is, I'm giving you permission, if you see me falling short in either holiness or humility then feel free to pull me aside, give me a call or shoot me an email to call me on it (just don't be a coward and do it anonymously). I may get defensive at first, but I'll listen.

Let's stop missing the "H's".

1 comment:

Shane Stone said...

Dude - you are pretty smart!

Those are my thoughts EXACTLY!!! Say it tomorrow man!