Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Disappearance of God - A review


First off, I've got to say that I would never have bought this book. While I would consider myself to have many (not all) of the beliefs of Albert Mohler, I really, really disagree with his tone. Having said that, I am really glad I read this book. I learned some stuff, especially from his chapters on Christian Beauty.

This book points out how our culture has wandered away from a belief in the God of the Bible and shows some of the paths that have taken us to where we are. I was engaged, but maybe that's because I don't usually read books like this. I've got to say this again, it's not that I disagreed with Mohler's content. It's great content, that deserves a reading whether you agree with it or not. What I didn't like was the way that he said what he said. I also didn't like how the book seemed like a collection of blog entries. On top of that the book just ends, with no real hope, no real "do this" solutions. Basically it just points out the problems, and while it does give some solutions, it's just not practical enough for me.

I also have to say that I completely disagree with his statements about Expository preaching. I don't think the arguement is either Expository preaching as he defines it or "the Bible is just a footnote." I think that we do expository preaching, but in a way that connects. I do not think that his definition and way of doing expository preaching is even Biblical. Neither Paul, nor Peter, nor Jesus did it his way. I think Mohler's stuck in a preaching tradition and he can't see out of it.

I'm glad I got the book for free. But I'm not sure if I would advise you to go buy it. If you're interested you can find out more here.

No comments: