Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I feel sick

I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I feel kind of sick.

Mark Sanford, the Governor of our state, just admitted to having an affair. This admission comes right on the heels of a church planter that I know who admitted to having an affair with his secretary. My heart is broken over stories like this. I

Here are my thoughts: PRAY FOR PROTECTION FOR MY MARRIAGE, YOUR MARRIAGE, ALL MARRIAGES. Seriously, we have an enemy and all he wants to do is mess us up. His only job is to steal, kill and destroy. We need divine protection.

And let me say this to those of you who might get all cocky and start passing judgement on Sanford or others in his situation. Pride comes before the fall. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Any of us could fall like Mark Sanford. Why not instead of passing judgment don't we show love, empathy and forgiveness. After all, isn't that how our Heavenly Father responds to us when we sin?

I pray for God's grace and forgiveness to be tangibly felt by the Sanford family. I also pray God's protection over all of us.

3 comments:

Scott Clubb said...

Thank you for sharing, I as well am down in sprit from the news conference. What a reminder this is to us in the faith to pray.

brYan said...

Thanks for that post Jonathan. It helped change my perspective on it, as at first my initial reaction was "Thanks for putting us on the map, Gov. Sanford." But you're right...it could happen to any one of us, whether we thought it would or not. I hope all of us can find love and forgiveness towards him than condemnation.

Thanks man.

Anonymous said...

Makes me really change the way I look at the situation. Completely opposite of what I have heard and said all day! Thanks for that word.