Tuesday, March 02, 2010

You've got to fight

I'm working on stuff for this week's Hub City BS. One of the things we'll be discussing is stuff we'll fight about and stuff we won't fight about. I'm thinking of adding something.

I want us to fight for relationships.

Our tendency, when things get tough, when we get mad, and when our feelings get hurt, is to shut down, turn off or move on. Too often we bail.

But when we bail on relationships we're taking the coward's way out. Relationships are worth fighting for.

One more thing to remember here: Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, the authorities and the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (Eph. 6:10).

Let's be known, not as people who fight against each other, but as people who fight for each other and against the one who is out to steal, kill and destroy.

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I've read this post maybe 5 or 6 times now. It's very convicting. My reaction when there is any kind of conflict is to want to shut down and/or leave. We have done this with churches multiple times. I've done it with friendships. I've seen that go on for years growing up in my family. That's what I love about that other post you linked by Mark Batterson(?) about being response-able... It's hard to stop reacting and choose a spirit-led response. But I do want to say (and I think this is why it's good for you to include that in the B.S) that our relationships w/Hub City are worth fighting for. And that's saying a lot for a church. I think most times, church "relationships" are based solely on being "churchy" together... at church functions, programs, worship service, sharing "fundamental beliefs," etc... But we have a lot more than that. I know I could never give up on relationships @ Hub City and go do better somewhere else.