Monday, March 01, 2010

The Tiger Rising


Nathan got a Barnes and Noble gift card for his birthday and this past Saturday we made the trek to B & N for him to put his money to good use. He really wanted this book called N.E.R.D.S.... Guess he wants to be like his dad.

There was still some money left on the card so I convinced him to buy The Tiger Rising. It's by the same author that wrote The Tale of Despereaux. He read that in class this year.

While he was reading his first choice I decided to check out The Tiger Rising. I couldn't put it down. It moved something inside of me.

What's funny is that this is the last sort of thing that I would normally read. It's a quasi-children's story (even though the themes are pretty adult). The only children's books I normally read are The Chronicles of Narnia (my favorite of all times) and Harry Potter.

This is a story that's worth your time. It's beautifully written. It's fun. It's moving. I'm reading it out loud to Nathan (something he hasn't wanted me to do with a book in years).

There's more I could say, but I think it would be best if you just read it.

No comments: