Wednesday, October 24, 2007


Pat let me read The Dip on the flight home from Phoenix yesterday (You can read Pat's blog here). I've heard a lot of great stuff about this book and was glad for the chance to read it. What was most beneficial to me was struggling with this question: What can I be the best in the world at? Or, what can our church plant be the best in our world at? I think I've got an answer to that question, but I'm not going to share that right now.

His point is that if you can't be the best in the world then you need to quit that and do what you can be the best in the world at. I loved this quote:
Extraordinary benefits accrue to the tiny minority of people who are able to push just a tiny bit longer than most. Extraordinary benefits also accrue to the tiny majority with the guts to quit early and refocus their efforts on something new. In both cases, it's about being the best in the world. Quit the wrong stuff. Stick with the right stuff. Have the guts to do one or the other. (Pg. 4)
I decided I need to buy this book and reread it. It's filled with practical advice.

2 comments:

pat gillen said...

If I didn't know that I'll need to re-read it several times over I'd have given you my copy! :)

Jonathan Everette said...

Maybe we can get NAMB to buy copies for all US planters. Can I get a witness?