Monday, October 08, 2007

The Ministry of Management - Patrick Lencioni

I think it's partly because I've never had any management training and partly because Patrick was hilarious, but his talk on the ministry of management was probably the most practical talk during Catalyst.

He posed two questions: Is your job fulfilling or miserable? And, what do we need to have a job that's fulfilling?

The talk really came from his new book The Three Signs of a Miserable Job. I want to get that book. The three signs are Anonymity, Irrelevance and Immeasurement. He said that we all want to be known. We all need to know that we're making a difference in people's lives. And people need to be able to measure for themselves if they are doing a good job. He ended his talk with this statement: Management is Ministry.

I needed this. These are practical, doable things. I want to be a part of creating an environment that's fun, meaningful and rewarding to work at.

No comments: