Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Don't be lazy

This past Sunday we started a series titled: God at the Movies. The point of the series is to teach us how to do Cultural Exegesis: To figure out what movies are saying so that we can use them as connection points to talk with people about God. Too often we're just lazy and forget that God has placed us where we are, when we are, within the culture we're in, for a reason. And one way to be a good steward of that is to think critically about the expressions of our culture (movies, TV, books, music).

I gave three questions that we should ask of all movies, music, TV, etc.: What does it say? (Everything is saying something. Some is profound. Some profane.) What does it mean? (This is where you see if the Bible has something to say about it. Kind of wish I'd come up with a better second question, but at least it's easy to remember.) How can I use it? (How can we use what the movie is saying as a connection point to talk about who God is and what he's like or to teach/illustrate some kind of spiritual truth.)

This coming Sunday we're going to look at the movie Up. I loved Up. It illustrates some great stuff about community. Can't wait to share.

1 comment:

wordgardener said...

I, for one, enjoyed the challenge of the series that you have begun on findign GOD in the movies. I had watched Spiderwick with my son numerous times as is the custom of children to watch something until they can recite it backwards. But not until this past week did I realize the powerful underlying message of the movie. The battle to protect the Old Book against the demon toads who seek to destroy it, and they are invisible to those that do not believe they are there, the "prophet"/professor who wrote the book and was moved to another place which suspended the effects of time on his human body; the good over evil triumph victoriously after a serious battle, and the very end, where the father takes the old ladies hand, and as she steps into his world, bonded by love and a lifetime of waiting for his return, as she places her hand in his, she slowly turns back into her daughter roll as a young girl and their world is finally right. Wow. I had chills when I realized this is the very message of the return of Jesus. It was a cool visual. I spent alot of my college days writing papers on symbolism and themes of certain authors Flannery OConner was one of my favorites. Heart damage and the after effects was a biggie for her as her stage was always some small town religious misfit gone amuck or worse in the 1950/1960 era. Somehow I see the stamp of the message on everything now. I feel like a kid in a candy store! Anyhow this is a good series and I wanted you to know it is full of impact. I have also nearly finished the Church is a team sport book. I submit the idea that it is also a good model for a family plan as well. Thanks for doing your calling instead of still just thinking about it. I find it extremely motivational. Cathy Bachman