Tuesday, May 19, 2009

MIP reflections

I thought I'd give a few reflections on our first Movie in the Park of 2009. First, I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. When I looked at the radar and saw the storms coming up out of Atlanta I was positive that it would be canceled. Actually, I told Liz, "We'll be canceling MIP tonight."

But it didn't rain. The storm out of Atlanta split when it got to Spartanburg and went around the city. I'm not making that up. You should have seen the radar. Like last year, when God wanted to get the word out about MIP and he got the word out, this year, God wanted MIP to happen and he diverted the rain. Unbelievable. I am very thankful. God granted us favor.

Second, with the chance of rain I didn't think we'd have more than 100 people. Seriously, would you bring your family out when it looks like it's going to pour? I'm not sure I would. Thankfully, around 1500 (+/- a few) came out anyway. It was a phenomenal turnout.

Third, we had a GREAT team come out to serve, making MIP a possiblity. I can't believe that we pulled it off last year with only 12 adults. This year, it seemed like everywhere I looked, there was somebody in a Hub City shirt. Everybody had a great attitude. Everybody worked hard. Everybody made a difference. I'm really proud of our team/church. I'm pumped to be a part of a church (meaning the people) that's partnering together to make Spartanburg a better place to live. You know who you are and you are awesome!

Fourth, we raised almost $300 for Water Mission International. We'll be selling glow bracelets all summer and ALL the proceeds got to develop clean water systems overseas. I can't wait to mail them a big check at the end of the summer.

Finally, we get to do it all again on June 20. We're already getting phone calls asking what our next movie is going to be. In case you're wondering, it's Madagascar 2.

No comments: