Friday, May 22, 2009

A Family

I think of Hub City Church as a family. I love the people that are a part of Hub City.

Here's why I wrote the previous two sentences: Most churches have members. Some have partners. I've always had some sort of discomfort with each of those terms. Members reminds me of a country club. Partners sounds so business-like. That's why I think of us as a family. A family is relational. Healthy families love one another no matter what. They are there for one another. They love in spite of the quarks and personalities that each person possesses.

Beginning June 7 we're going to be having Hub City BS (Basic Stuff). We'll go over Hub City's mission and vision, who we are, who we're not, what we believe, what's negotiable, why we do what we do and answer any and all of your questions. It'll be a three week "class" on Sunday nights. At the end of our time we're going to invite you to be a part of the family. Put the dates on your calendar. Sign up this Sunday.

Welcome to the family.

3 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

Is our hub group going to be on hold or is someone else leading the class? or are we the class? is this a trick?

AND I love the name Hub City BS. But it really seemed like you didn't "get" that when you said it at the gathering Sunday... Did someone else come up with the name and you just realized what it sounded like? Just curious.

Jonathan Everette said...

I'm going to talk with our group this week about this, but yes, we're going to be "on hold" but actually, we'll hopefully be "all together." I'd love for Hub City BS to be like a big group hub group... for three weeks. That's why we're having it on Sunday nights when most hub groups meet.

And the "Hub City BS" was intentional. It was my idea actually. It goes with our DNA, and it's kind of funny because most people think that membership stuff in churches is BS... so we're acknowledging that, but at the same time we want people to know that our BS is vitally important. :) My parents were there on Sunday so I had to do the disclaimer.

Linda Harris said...

Do you have to do a disclaimer when your in-laws attend?