Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow day thoughts

Today's a snow day here in Spartanburg, SC. Schools are closed. Why? We got a whopping half inch of snow. It's kind of funny if you think about it, but after reading about what went on in Atlanta and Alabama yesterday I'd rather the districts be safe than sorry. Besides, as I was driving to the office this morning, all the maniacs driving too fast for the icy conditions makes me glad my kids didn't have to be in the car. (I'm such a bad person because I find myself hoping that they will crash because of their reckless driving.)

But back to the snow. I love to watch it snow. Yesterday, as the snow started to fall, I sat at my desk and watched it start to accumulate on the mulch and was reminded of something the prophet Isaiah said:
“Come now, let’s settle this,”    says the Lord.“Though your sins are like scarlet,    I will make them as white as snow.Though they are red like crimson,    I will make them as white as wool.                          - Isaiah 1:18
That is a really cool promise from God. I think about it every time it snows. We have a God who is willing to forgive us and take our scarlet sins and wash them white as snow.

Confession is a habit that I started a long time ago. Isaiah 1:18 and John 1:9 are reasons why. Let today's snowmeggedon remind you of God's forgiveness. And let the availability of forgiveness lead you to develop the habit of confession.

No comments: