Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Just read it

I know something about you. You don't believe everything you read. The reason I know that is because I know you read the headlines of the National Enquirer while you're checking out at Publix. Some of you are audacious enough that you not only read the headlines, but you actually pick the magazine up off the rack and flip through it. It's an embarrassment, really.

Why do you do this? Because it's there? Because you're bored? Because you really do what to know who Kanye West is having an affair with?

Whatever your reason, what I know is that you really don't believe what you're reading, but you read it anyway.

When it comes to the Bible, one thing I've heard people who aren't Christians say is, "The reason I don't read it is because I don't believe it's true."

But as we saw with the National Enquirer, believing isn't a litmus test for reading. So why use it as an excuse for not reading the Bible?

I believe that you owe it to yourself to read the Bible. You don't have to believe it. Just read it.

Now, I will admit that I really do believe the Bible. I believe it's true. But I'm not saying you have to believe what I believe. What I'm saying is that you owe it to yourself to read it.

If you've never read the Bible then I'd love to help you know how and where to start. Don't read it like you would read a John Grisham novel, from beginning to end. The Bible wasn't organized to be read that way. It's actually a collection of 66 different books written by over 40 authors over a 1500 year period. As a result, it can get confusing. So shoot me a message and I'll help you out.

I believe that the best habit you could ever develop is the habit of reading the Bible on a daily basis. And I dare you to try it out, even if you don't believe it.

No comments: