Friday, November 30, 2012

Tragedy averted

I have good news to share. Tragedy has been averted in the Everette home.

Yesterday I went up in the attic looking for our artificial Christmas tree. Last year I gave into the pressure to get a real tree, but this year Liz left the door open for us to set up our artificial one. 

I thought I'd put the pressure on her this year by having it set up when she got home... as a surprise. Because surprises like that are always the right thing to do.

Well, much to my dismay, the artificial tree was nowhere to be found. I searched the entire attic. It was then that I vaguely remembered giving the tree away to someone last year.

I don't remember who you are, but I was cursing you all afternoon for accepting the tree I graciously gave.

That is until I went to dinner with my in-laws at the Cracker Barrel last night. They, like my parents, have forests of artificial trees growing in their attics and crawl spaces. Which means... (drum roll)...

We now have one of their artificial trees growing in my living room! 

Which also means... (drum roll)...

I don't have to go out and buy a real tree!

I consider this my contribution to helping the environment.

On a side note, did you read about the study that came out this week that said the marriages in which husbands have a good relationship with their in-laws are 20% more likely to stay together. So I wasn't just getting a tree. I was bonding with my in-laws, which means... (drum roll)...

I invested in the health of my marriage!

Who knew how good getting an artificial tree could be for my family?!?! Tragedy averted.

No comments: