Friday, August 10, 2012

My political rant

This may come as a surprise, but I think it would be fun to be a politician. Politics intrigues me. 

I also know that as soon as you mention politics you immediately polarize people. You're either left or right or don't care. This is evident all over the TV with the ever-present political ads. It's evident in the Chick-Fil-A "incident." It's evident with the ever increasing political statements on Facebook. It's even evident in the church.

While I could see myself running for office (in a dream), as a follower of Jesus, I need to keep something at the forefront of my mind.

The following quote comes from one of Christianity's earliest, extra-Biblical, writings, The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus
They dwell in their own countries, but simply as sojourners. As citizens, they share in all things with others, and yet endure all things as if foreigners. Every foreign land is to them as their native country, and every land of their birth as a land of strangers.
As followers of Jesus we are citizens of another country. And while our job is to work together with the Holy Spirit to bring about God's Kingdom on earth, this isn't our home. We're only temporary residents who move in for a little while, do good, make a difference and then move on to our true home.

I could say more, but for now let's remember that we are aliens in a strange land. Let's remember that our home is heaven. Let remember that we've got limited time in this foreign land to make as much impact for the Kingdom as possible (even potentially in politics).

No comments: