Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How to make progress

I often state that the best habit you could ever develop is the habit of reading your Bible every day. But a question that people think but are too afraid to ask is: Why do I need to read the Bible everyday?

I came across this quote from legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden which I think gives a great answer.
When you improve a little each day, eventually big things occur... so don't look for the quick, bug improvement. Seek the small improvements one day at a time-that's the only way progress happens--and when that kind of progress happens, it lasts.
I believe that incorporating the daily habit of reading the Bible into your life has a cumulative effect over the long term. That's why it's the best habit that you could ever develop.

But I was thinking, it's not just reading the Bible so that you can check it off your list. It's reading and putting into practice what it's telling you to do. That's where lasting progress comes from. 

No comments: