Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How do you deal with temptation?

Well, how do you deal with temptation?

According to Todd Hunter in Our Favorite Sins, if you're like most Americans, not all that well. That's what makes his book so incredible. This is one of the best books I've read on dealing with temptation.

I'll begin by saying that this book is in no way, shape or form anything like what I expected. I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. And I am so glad about that.

In summary without giving too much away (because you need to read this book), Todd addresses the topic of temptation, defines it, and then uses liturgy as a defense against it. 

While I'm not all that into liturgy, I loved what Todd had to say. I bookmarked every single page of one chapter on my kindle because it was that good and needs to be reread. Actually, the entire book needs to be reread.

We all struggle against temptation. Some of us struggle more than others. Some of us gave up the fight long ago. But we're surrounded by temptation. And as followers of Jesus, we don't have to give in. We don't have to be a slave. The New Testament says we're no longer slaves. But too often we still live enslaved lives. Our Favorite Sins gives a doable road map for living in freedom. And even if you don't agree with everything he says (who agrees with everything someone says anyway) this book will be a helpful, useful, and valuable tool in your struggle against temptation.

No comments: