Monday, January 18, 2010

When everything goes wrong

Yesterday was just one of those days. Actually, it was unlike any day we've ever had at Hub City. It seemed like everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. In the words of some of our regular attenders, "It was rough this morning." Maybe it was Allen and Jaimee's fault since they weren't there.... :)

So last night I laid awake in bed thinking about what we could do to keep yesterday's train wrecks from happening again, and what can we learn/take away from yesterday's experience. I've got a few thoughts.

First, it is true that Christ's power is made perfect in our weaknesses. When we are weak, he is strong. I say this to say that no matter how bad we might feel about things, God, in his unique and amazing way, shows his power.

Second, flowing out of the first, we don't say No Perfect People Allowed for no reason. We mean it. We know we're not perfect. We mess up. Sometime's life is messy, and sometimes a worship gathering is messy. No Perfect People Allowed.

Third, in all honesty we can use the first two as an excuse. I'm am NOT saying that we are doing that, but it can happen. That means we need to figure out what we can do to prevent this in the future. We have to do our part. I firmly and passionately believe that. We need to work to do the best that we can do. That's just making the most of the gifts, talents and resources that God has given us. To do any less would be being poor stewards of what God's given us. I want us to do all that we can do. But I also think that we need to pray that God would do what only he can do. That's what takes things to another level. That's when things get supernatural. We passionately want God's favor on us and all that we do.

I've got to say this too: I'm not a "demon behind every corner" type of guy, but I do believe that we have an enemy who wants to do whatever he can to destroy, distract, disunify and discourage (like my 4 "d's"?). Anytime we try and do something for God or with God our enemy is going to do whatever he can to disrupt it.

So here's my conclusion: If you're looking for a perfect church with a perfect show, then Hub City ain't the place for you (actually, I'm not sure that there is a perfect place for you). But if you're looking for a real family whose trying to figure out how to love God, love each other and do life together, then I don't know of another church family that you'd want to be a part of.

Oh, and one more thing: I love Frankie and Josh. I think Hub City is privileged to have them as servant leaders. Me, on the other hand, you're just stuck with.

No comments: