Thursday, January 14, 2010

New family activity

Today I'm going to go buy a cheap calendar for each member of my family and we're going to start a Gratitude Journal. The goal is going to be to write down three things we're thankful for each day. I want my kids to have an attitude of gratitude. The only way for us to develop that in them is to be intentional about giving thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to pan out. I think it could be one of those foundational activities/habits that shapes, not only my boys, by Liz and me as well.

It's also a great way to obey 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Our family had a "Blessing Jar" (and yes, it even said "Blessings" on it!) and throughout the year, whenever we encountered a specific blessing - be it an answer to prayer, an unexpected kind action, something that told us in a special way that God was there - we wrote it on a slip of paper and put it in the jar. Then on Thanksgiving day, we pulled all the slips out and read them together, remembering the past year of blessings. Now that we're all out of the house, the things we're thankful for aren't added on a daily basis, but we still bring our own slips of paper to add to the jar on Thanksgiving so we can read them together. Gratefulness is an important habit!

Jaimee Holmes said...

I love the jar idea! Sounds like a great way to fuel conversation around the dinner table as well.