Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Motivation

It's funny how God works and speaks sometimes. I've been thinking a lot lately about my motivation for doing things. Like, why do I want to write for the paper? Why do I blog? Why do I want to adopt? Why do I want to be the pastor of Hub City?

The list could go on, but each of those questions involves the question of motivation. What's my motivation for whatever I do?

If I'm honest, I don't always have the most pure motivations. Way too often I'm selfish and prideful and want people to put me up on a pedestal and tell me how awesome I am. Wow, when I read that last sentence I sound like such an egomaniac.

But here's what I want my motivation to be: God's glory and God's renown. I want them to be because I've heard from God and am being obedient to him. And so here's what I want my position to be: Humble, one of humility.

John the Baptist said that he desired to be less so that God could be greater. That's what I desire as well. It's just that I get in the way...

Mark has some great posts related to this that you should read: Here, here, and here.

No comments: