Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A stumbling block

23Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." - Matthew 16:23

I notice something this morning from this verse that I've never noticed before.

I can be a stumbling block to Jesus. Usually we talk about being a stumbling block to other people. But this is saying that we can get in the way of what Jesus is doing.

The way we get in the way is by having the wrong mindset, by having in mind the things of men instead of the things of God.

I don't want to get in the way of what Jesus is doing. I don't think any of us does. But I fear we get in the way all the time. Our minds are far too often set on the things of me. To make sure we don't get in the way we need to have our minds set on the things of God.

The best way to do that, by the way, is to read your Bible on a regular basis. What is God showing you through his word lately?

1 comment:

JESUSFREAKGIRL said...

Dear Jonathan Everette,
I don't know what your story is, frankly because I haven't read nearly all of your blog yet, but I feel that God is telling me to post to you. Many fall and stumble, but the Lord holds them up. Many are brokenhearted, but the Lord glues their lives back together. Many are unsaved, but the Lord needs you to help them. Jonathan Everette, I am an almost 13 year old girl and I believe with my entire heart that Jesus died for me. I am a bit shy though, and have trouble sharing my faith. I was impressed by even how in your first post I saw that you were a believer. Jonathan Everette, God bless you. Have courage, be strong, and keep sharing the faith. I really don't know why I'm saying all this. I just really think that God wanted me to. I will be looking at your blog more later. Keep posting!