Friday, August 17, 2007

Harry Potter


Last night I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... all 759 pages of it. I've been reading about 2 chapters a night for the past month and now I'm a bit depressed. I'm not depressed because the book was a let down. I'm depressed because it was such a great book and now I'm done reading it.

Now, if you're one of those anti-Harry Potter people who say that the book's Satanic then I need to ask you a question: Have you read the books? I am continually amazed that people make all kinds of judgements about Harry Potter and they've never read a page. So in all kindness and love: Shut up and go read the books, then make the judgment. I think it is important, vitally important, to view culture (books, movies, TV, internet) through the filter and lens of Scripture, but you can't do that from an outside, uninformed position. When we do that (and we Christians are good at doing that) we look like close-minded, ignorant idiots instead of informed and educated critics. So read the book!

There are so many great themes lived out in the book: Loyalty, responsibility, obedience, sacrifice, friendship, love and family. I think what stood out to me the most was that Harry was willing to do the right thing, regardless of the personal cost. He was willing to sacrifice himself to do what was right for the good of many. Sounds strangely similar to another story that has become central to my life.

I won't share how the story ended, but I will say that the ending is happy and the loose ends are tied up. I love stories that end on a happy note and tie up all the loose ends.

So with that in mind, if you haven't started yet, get to reading and enjoy entering the world of the boy who lived.

No comments: