Thursday, August 02, 2007

The day after

I haven't really blogged much about our church plant in a while. In all honesty it's been a rough couple of months. Well, last night we had a third and final town hall meeting with some of the influencers in our church where I re-shared the vision and mission and direction of The Point (which I will post in a later blog). At the end of the night we had some great people, some great servants, make the decision that The Point is not where they need to be.

This isn't a bad thing. God is in control, and Jesus has promised that he will build his church. Sometimes people need to leave, and as much as I want The Point to be a place where people can safely explore what following Jesus is all about, I also want us to be a place where people can follow God safely, even if that's to another church. I never want people to feel guilty for following God.

Following the meeting I was overwhelmed with this question: What now, God? The question wasn't asked out of discouragement or despair, but out of an anticipation and desire to move forward with what God has called and invited us to do. And then this morning I read this out of Philippians 4: I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength, and My God will meet all of your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

I don't think it was an accident that this passage was a part of my Bible reading for today. God can be trusted. He will do all that he's promised to do. I think there are exciting days ahead for The Point. I don't think we're here by accident. I think God has a plan and purpose for us. Today I'm motivated by another verse from Philippians: Forgetting what is behind, and straining towards what is ahead, I press on toward the goal....