Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Key to following Jesus

I shared last week that I'm on a journey of learning what it means to be a disciple/follower of Jesus. One thing I know for sure is that it's not about knowing more stuff. It's not information based. "The more you know" may work well for a fuzzy NBC public service announcement, but years of Bible studies and expository preaching and discipleship classes haven't really done much in the way of making true disciples of Jesus - people who live like Jesus. Going to seminary and learning Greek and Hebrew hasn't grown me in Christlikeness.

So if it's not about what we know then what is the key? It's obedience. Most of us don't like that word, but if we are going to be just like our rabbi Jesus then we need to live lives of obedience. Jesus modeled that for us. He was obedient. It even says he was "obedient to death on a cross."

So what are we to be obedient to? Great question. I think a great place to start is the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. This is where Jesus boils down how his followers should live. He says things like stick to your word, love those who aren't like you, stop worrying, make God's Kingdom your primary concern, invest your finances in Kingdom/eternal things, how to pray and don't objectify people by lusting.

I want my life to be so characterized by obedience that I can say, "If you want to know how to follow Jesus just imitate me."

I would love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I believe Christians are recognized by the way they love (and as stipulated in 1 Cor 13) -- for from love stems all virtues, including obedience.

God bless,

ai~
Divine*Gift ::: Amaranthine