Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I am a bad pastor

I’ve got a confession to make. I am a bad pastor. I still feel a little funny when someone introduces me as their pastor. It’s just a bit weird. Here’s one reason why I’m a bad pastor. When people are sick or when they have family that is sick, I’m not really as sympathetic as I should be. Don’t get me wrong, I do care for these people and their families. I’ll pray for them and their families, but I think I’m missing that pastoral gene that most pastors have.

Maybe that’s why God is allowing me to go through this medical mystery with my dad. For those of you who don’t know, my dad’s been on a 4 month journey to figure out if he has cancer. I think they are closer now to discovering something, but any firm diagnosis gets pushed back until they do another test. Actually, I’m writing this post from the waiting room in Augusta, GA as my dad has a Bronchoscopy.

Over the past few months I’ve had to experience what others have experienced. I think God is using this experience to soften my heart.

Now, I’m still a bad pastor, but God is giving me a new lens through which to view other’s pain and suffering. I just wish I didn’t have to learn this lesson at my dad’s expense.

No comments: