Thursday, January 11, 2007

Crazy Love

I was listening to Erwin McManus from Mosaic the other day and he said this (I'm paraphrasing):

Did you know that our Gatherings aren't just for those of us who are followers of Christ just to come and enjoy each other and enjoy God. If we don't open up our lives to the people in the world around us we are wasting our time. Most of us, when we're looking for a church, we look for a church that's convenient for us. We look for something that fits into our lives and our schedules, with our likes and with people who are like us. But we need to transition to being the church that's crazy about people, that is characterized by Crazy Love.


I love the idea of Crazy Love. That's really what the Heavenly Father showed us when he sent his Son to die for our sins. That's pretty crazy. I'm sure DSS would get called today if a father did that. It's really crazy to invest in people who might reject you. It really crazy to love people who don't love you. It's really crazy to, as a church, prioritize those who don't believe what we believe.

I resonate with what Erwin said. That is my passion. We don't need another church that just becomes a holy club for the already rescued. We need a church that exists to rescue those who are far away from God. Will you partner with The Point to do that?

That might mean that you are a bit uncomfortable. It involves developing relationships with people who are far away from God. It involves inviting them, and quite possibly, or probably being rejected, but being willing to continue the relationship in the face of rejection. So, who can you invite? This Sunday would be a great time to take a risk and invite somebody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the book, "Divine Obsession", which talks about how Crazy God's love for us is, and explores the idea that God even likes us-each of us personally; and to share that with someone else regardless of where they are on their journey or what their view of something is, it's been really neat to share this experience with others and I've been resting in that, at the end of the day, no matter what - God not only loves me, he likes me. Sure, it's been hard, difficult, and even scary for me to step out of my comfort zone, but I'm truly glad God has provided the Point as sort of a 'playing field' to explore Him more along with others & to express my love & appreciation for Him. I think it's just what the Great Physician ordered. :)