Wednesday, March 07, 2012

I dare you

In my "read through the Bible in 90 days" suicide Bible reading plan I've been reading a lot about idols and idolatry. God's pretty anti-idol. In fact, the first to of the Ten Commandments tell us that he's the only God and that we're not to have any God besides him. Idolatry is a biggie.

An idol is anything that takes the place of God in our life. It's anything that we worship above God.

Well, all of this reading about idols has cause me to do a bit of self-inventory asking: What idols do I have in my life? What idols do you have in your life?

Many of us worship all kinds of things other than God. And we don't even realize it.

Here's a list of common idols:
  • Money
  • Sex
  • Power
  • Busyness
  • The need to be in control
  • Relationships
There are all kinds of idols. What takes the place of God in your life?

Here's something that I dare you to ask God: Point out any idols in my life. Show me my idols. Convict me of my idols so that I can worship you and you alone.

No comments: