Monday, June 20, 2011

A lesson from my 95 year old grandfather

We went to see my grandparents on Father's day. My grandpa is 95. He's doing good for someone who's less than 5 years from the century mark.

But yesterday he unintentionally taught me something that's a lesson for all of us.

Because of some health problems he hasn't been able to attend his church's Sunday worship. But flippantly he said, "I continue to send in my tithes and offerings."

That statement stood out to me.

Here's the deal: My grandfather isn't getting anything in return for his giving. He can't physically worship with his church family. He can't participate in their ministries for senior citizens. But he is faithful with tithing. I think God will bless him for that. I believe there will be a reward for him in heaven for that faithfulness.

So here's the question: Are we being faithful in our giving? It's so freaking easy. You can give online. You can mail it in. You can give during worship.

I think we can learn a lot from grandpa Henry's example of obedience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have faith in the Lord. Put your burden on his shoulders and give all to him. All Jesus asks is that we give him everything. If he is for us, who can be against us.