Monday, February 28, 2011

Values and Purpose

It's my habit to make the most of my time at the gym by reading a book. I usually like to read business/management books while at the gym. I'm not sure why a physical workout goes hand in hand with business and leadership principles, but hey, it works for me.

Right now I'm reading Jim Collins' book Built to Last. Today I read about how visionary companies have core values and a purpose that they stick to when things are good, when things are bad, when they're making money, when it seems the wheels are falling off.

It got me thinking about Hub City's purpose and core values. I thought I'd share them and then would love to get your input.

Purpose: We exist to make disciples who make disciples. This will never change. It's what Jesus commanded us to do in Matthew 28:18-20.

Core Values: People, Biblical Authority, Grace. I could probably include more, but those are the essential, non-negotiable core values. I'll explain them:
  • People: We value all people because God values all people. Going hand in hand with this is relationships, because you can't really value people that you don't know.
  • Biblical Authority: We believe the Bible is true and that we should submit our lives to it's authority.
  • Grace: There's so much to say about grace. It's the one thing that all of us want more than anything. Going hand in hand with grace is acceptance. We want to out-accept the world. Jesus did that.
So now it's your turn. What are your thoughts? This is who I want us to be. It's who I think we are. What do you think?

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I love our core values. And I think it's so important that we have them. I think it would be nifty to have conversation about how we SHOW that we value those things. What valuing those things LOOKS LIKE or could look like. I think it would be interesting to find out differing perspectives of how to show/be shown those values, especially from people who are in the various stages of the discipleship process. I think it could open up new ways of loving each other. Just a thought.