Tuesday, February 08, 2011

LINE-UP Principle

I just read something really good. It addresses a specific problem that we're dealing with at Hub City. I'll post about that problem later, but first, check this out. It's called the LINE-UP principle. It's a plan/system for being intentional to reaching out to and connecting with new people. It's also a great way to develop new relationships. Let me know your thoughts.

LOOK for someone you don’t know.
Every time you come to church, instead of concentrating on your friends, make it your goal to extend God’s love to someone you don’t know. What do you do when you find someone you don’t know…?

INTRODUCE yourself.
“Hi, my name is ______________. Have we met before?” (If not, “Nice to meet you.”) Once you’ve introduced yourself, ask the other person questions. We all love to hear ourselves talk, so let the other person talk.

NEVER sit alone.
This is the Eleventh Commandment. We talk about "relationships" and “Community” often, and in order to be in community, we ought to sit together. So once you’ve introduced yourself, say, “I’m going into the theater now. Can I invite you to sit with me?”

ENGAGE in conversation.
Before the worship service you’ll meet some people around you. Once the church service is over, engage them in conversation (once again, by asking questions, not by talking about yourself.)

USE Hub Groups.
Everyone wants to be in relationships, but they don't know where to go or how to get connected, or if they do, they are usually a bit apprehensive. So once you’ve engaged in conversation, say, “Hey, I'm in a Hub Group that meets __________. I’d like to invite you to be my guest. It’s free, it's fun, it's been impactful in my life. You'll get to know some other folks too.”

PRACTICE the 3/10 Rule.
The 3/10 Rule is, talk with three people you don’t know during the first ten minutes after the service. Most of us want to talk with our friends, but if our friends have been coming for awhile, they’ll still be here ten minutes after church. Whereas all newcomers will be gone in the first ten minutes unless someone engages them in conversation.

Personally, I think this is great. It's a great reminder. It's something that I want all Hub City folks to be doing. It will help us be the most accepting and loving group around.

No comments: