Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Too good not to share

I just read this and had to share it. I hope it doesn't make anybody mad. That's not my intention. I hope it motivates you. It sure does me.

“I want every member of this church to be a worker.
We do not want any drones. If there are any of you who want to eat and drink, and do nothing, there are plenty of places elsewhere, where you can do it; there are empty pews about in abundance; go and fill them, for we do not want you. Every Christian who is not a bee is a wasp. The most quarrelsome persons are the most useless, and they who are the most happy are peaceable, are generally those who are doing most for Christ.” (Spurgeon)

3 comments:

Jaimee said...

I disagree. There ya go. Quarrelsome : P

Jonathan Everette said...

Jaimee, I SO MUCH appreciate your pushback. Keep it up. I just thought it was an interesting and very colorful quote from a British Preacher from the 1800's. I came across it while preparing for this Sunday's sermon.

And you're the only person who gives any interaction with this blog, so thanks!

Jaimee said...

Haha I really do disagree. I'm not *just* being difficult.

Here's my thinking briefly:

The Christian "church" as a whole, is the way it is because we have been trained/brought up/raised that way... Our drone-like behavior is a response to the set up of "the church." So I think that statement is a fairly damning one coming from a pastor (Spurgeon). I think that a statement like that goes against your "whatever it takes" attitude, because it provides an "out" for when people aren't responding the way they're supposed to... rather than pushing through, digging deep and getting brave about finding out the root cause of complacency within The Church. (I don't mean this as a reflection of you personally, but just my reading of that little out of context statement).

Anyway... I know I can seem argumentative, but it's because I can't be passive about things I believe strongly in. Not because I want to stir up trouble or anything.