Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What I've been reading lately


I have a confession to make. I like reading leadership books. The problem, however, is that I often come away from most leadership books with some disappointment, and an unexplainable unsettledness. That was not the case with Nancy Ortberg's new book. It is fantastic. Quite possibly the best book on leadership I've ever read. I was trying to figure out why I think it might earn that honor and here's what I came up with. While leaders are important, they aren't the superheros that other leadership books make them out to be. She talks about teamwork, collaboration, creating tension, and conflict. Honestly, the way she talks about leadership reminds me of this Rabbi guy who lead twelve nobodies to change the world. Great book. Definitely a must read.

So far I've read every book from Malcolm Gladwell. I love his stuff. Seriously, it's some of the most unique and thought provoking stuff out there. His latest book doesn't disappoint. The main point of the book is that success doesn't just happen. It's the result of being in the right place at the right time, being born in the right place at the right time, having the right resources available, perserverance, and 10,000 hours of practice. It's definitely caused me to rethink all those "out-of-nowhere" success stories. It's a great, fun read.

While I've g
ot other books in the pipeline, I just started this book. I'm supposed to write a review on in for a local magazine (Roots). So far it's pretty interesting. I think I've got an idea for a No Perfect People Allowed part 2 series. You'll just have to wait until the fall to find out more about that.

No comments: