Thursday, February 26, 2009

A challenge

Are you a reader? I love reading. I wish I had more time to read more books. But the truth is most people don't like to read. That may be you (probably not if you're reading this blog). But I had this thought today that involves reading, and it may be a challenge to you.

Have you ever compared the amount of time you spent getting ready for, planning and preparing for your wedding to the amount of time you spent getting ready for, planning and preparing for the marriage? Most couples spend an exhorbant amount of time, money and energy planning the wedding, but very little time, if any at all, preparing for the marriage. So, what if, as an investment in your marriage, you read some books on marriage or relationships or how to love your spouse better this year? I can recommend some good books if you're interested. Got any suggestions for me?

Now think about parenting. Most people work hard to come up with a name for the little suckers, they take childbirth classes, they pack the suitcase for the hospital, they paint and decorate the nursery, but how many parents spend some time and energy preparing to do the hard job of parenting? I was really convicted by this thought. So, my goal is to read four parenting books this year. Just finished this one. It's fantastic. I'm looking for the next good parenting book. Got any recommendations?

So, what are you reading? Maybe, for the sake of your marriage or your kids, you should invest in a few good books, buckle down and read.

3 comments:

pat gillen said...

I liked Sacred Parenting, I read it about a year ago.
and The Fulfilled Family by MacArthur.

They may be too simplified for you, but I liked them.

Anonymous said...

I think I will read that next... I looked at it at the bookstore awhile back and thought it looked good, but I had read one of his earlier ones... How to Make Your Child Mind without Losing Yours... and while it was ok, it lacked "a plan." Is this one pretty straight forward or is it more abstract? Does it actually tell you what to do or just philosophize? I need someone to tell me what to do. HELP!

We (I) read a good one that would be great if I would follow through. It's called 1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents... Overall a decent book... perhaps a bit on the permissive side, but useful nonetheless. Allen watched the videos with me. You guys are welcome to borrow them if you're interested.

I'm wondering about Barna's book, Revolutionary Parenting (I think that's what it's called). I think it looks interesting.

Jonathan Everette said...

Jaimee,

It tells you what to do and it's pretty simple. With principles like "say it once, turn your back and walk away," and "B doesn't happen until A is completed." One of the really cool things about the book is that it's short, but there's an enormous section at the end where he gives advice for how to do it in various real life circumstances. The hardest thing is being consistent and retraining myself.

Thanks to both of you for the book advice.