Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Conflict is good... huh?

Very few people love conflict. Most avoid it. Those that do love it usually just like being able to pounce on somebody else so they can win and feel better about themselves. But here's a profound thought I came across the other day: What if conflict and conflict resolution are as important in our discipleship as prayer and Bible reading? I think that it might be, and as a result, since most of us avoid it or don't handle it the right way then we're missing out on an essential aspect of our discipling.

It's also something that's essential to healthy teams (churches). Nancy Ortberg says this: Great teams need spirited, unfiltered debate. They need it to clear the air, they need it to trust each other, and they need it to make important decisions worth committing to. Great teams need leaders who are comfortable with debate and actually require it.

It's said that the further up in an organization you go the less likely you are to hear the truth. I want people to tell me the truth. I want people to disagree with me and challenge me. I want to do the same to them. I think that kind of conflict helps teams grow. I also think that kind of conflict is essential to discipleship.

2 comments:

pat gillen said...

I'm with you man. Passivity is a team-killer.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have never debated with a Christian before (except with Allen) and felt it was ok to still have my same opinion afterward... Like I always felt it was a battle to the death for the truth.. each person trying to convince the other of an absolute.

But that time we had the "discussion" on here about money... I came away feeling like my opinions were valued... like my experiences mattered... were valid. Through that, I respected you and your opinions more... wanted to understand your views more fully... and actually ended up changing some of my opinions

Shhh... don't tell anyone! : )