Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The right perspective

Confession time: I get discouraged pretty easily. When things don't go how I think they should go, when expectations aren't met, when there's relational strife... I get discouraged.

Intellectually, I know that this kind of discouragement is stupid. As a Christian I know that my hope shouldn't be in expectations, but in Jesus. But at the same time, I still get discouraged.

But I've discovered something lately. With the right perspective, discouragement isn't able to gain a foothold in my life. When I look at the big picture I don't get discouraged. When I keep the long view in front of me instead of the short term view I don't get discouraged. When I see conflict as the natural part of life and relationships (that's actually healthy if handled the right way) then I don't get discouraged. It's all about having the right perspective... but it's much easier to write about than do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post... Yeah, I think it really helps to look to the big picture, in the long run... That changes how we view the moment to moment stuff.

It's funny, and probably really retarded of me, but I actually am somewhat welcoming the relational "strife" to a point... Each time you are in conflict, something is resolved, grown, understood... Kinda like every good book! Necessary to life, and those relationships just get better and better.