Friday, June 01, 2007

Transformation


Somebody sent this book to me for free. I've got to say thanks to whoever sent it. There's more good stuff in the book than I have time to write, so you need to read it. You can get a copy here.

Here are a few things that I'll share: I really loved his stuff on the difference between being converted and being transformed. I'm going to teach that sometime. He talked about how the church in the west really has a lot to learn from the church in the east where a church planting movement is exploding. He also shared how not only are we, as individuals, missionaries, but that the church is themissionary (thus the reason for what I'm going to share on Sunday).

I think what connected with me and inspired me the most is the idea of The Point being a church that partners with the Holy Spirit to see lives transformed and then, flowing out from partners with the Holy Spirit to transform the world. I do believe that God has called us to be missionaries here in Spartanburg, but if we stop here then we've fallen short of what God has invited us into. The vision of The Point is to be a church that impacts the entire world. I know that sounds a bit presumptuous considering our size and influence now, but that's the goal. I want to see lives transformed because of what we do in Spartanburg. I want to see us plant other churches in Spartanburg. I want us to plant churches all around the state, our country and the world (which is, by the way, why we give 5% of our take in from tithes and offerings to a church plant in Lexington, SC and another 5% to missionaries both here and overseas).

Transformation is most definitely worth your time.

No comments: