Thursday, June 28, 2007

Humiliating

This week our oldest boys have gone camping with my parents. It's been a bit odd just having an 8 month old around the house (it's a lot quieter!), but great having some less interrupted time with Liz.

That's not the humiliating part. This AM I had to go to the doctor. No, I am not sick, but we thought (actually, Liz thought) it was time to get a doctor here in Spartanburg just in case I do get sick sometime in the future. So, Liz signed me up to get a physical. I don't like going to the doctor. I especially don't like getting a physical. It's a pretty humiliating experience for me (thank goodness the doctor said I don't need a prostate exam for another 2 years. I'm leaving the country in 1 year 11 months 29 days.). But in spite of the humiliation it's supposed to be good for you to get a physical, right?

This got me thinking. Really, the only thing that keeps me from regularly getting a physical (I've had 2 since I graduated high school--and I turn 33 on July 9th) is laziness and pride. I really think I'm too good, too healthy, altogether alright and such, so I don't need to go to the doctor... so I put it off. I change the topic when Liz brings it up. I put off what's good for me.

That got me thinking. We do this a lot don't we? We do it with God all the time. God tells us the best way to do relationships, but we don't want to play by those rules because we think we know better or we're just too lazy to find out what God says. God tells us how to handle money the right way, but we ignore that because we've believed the lie that it's all our money anyway. God tells us how to be in a right relationship with him, but we're not to keen on that, so we mix and match different religions or cultural beliefs together to find something that fits us better.

The problem in all of this is our stupid self-centeredness. It's all about us and if we don't like it we either ignore it or flat out rebel or change the topic so we don't have to think about it anymore.

We're going to talk a bit about this on Sunday at The Point. It will be worth your time. It sure has been eye-opening to me.

One good thing about today: I didn't have to make a follow-up appointment, so maybe I can postpone my next physical for another 7 or 8 years!

No comments: