Wednesday, December 02, 2015

We don't need God anymore

I could be wrong. I've been wrong in the past, and will be wrong in the future. But I'm convinced that one of the biggest barriers to being disciples of Jesus in our American culture is that we don't really need God anymore.

We have everything we need. Most of us have way more than we need.

There are places around the world where people desperately need God for things we take for granted: Food, shelter, safety, water, health....

We have all of those in abundance. We don't really need God anymore.

But that's a lie. It's an illusion.

We need God just as much as others, but we've substituted so much for God (which is what the Bible calls idolatry) that it appears we're just fine without him.

But we're not fine without him.

In desperation we need to daily follow the instruction of 2 Chronicles 7:14 - 

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Do what this verse says this week. Then God will hear, forgive and heal.


No comments: