Thursday, December 10, 2015

Depression and exercise

I've been reading about depression lately. Yesterday I read something that I want to share because I think it can help a bunch of us. I know it has been helpful to me. 

We all know that exercise is important for our physical health. What we might not know is that exercise is of equal importance to our mental health.

A number of studies show that regular exercise can help us recover from depression. One such study showed that three session of aerobic activity a week worked as well as medication to reduce the symptoms of depression. Another study showed that moderate aerobic activity done three to five times a week can cut moderate depression symptoms nearly in half.

What that means for you and me is that we need to get off our butt and do something active. Take a job. Swim some laps. Go for a walk. 

In talking about this in his book, Leading on Empty, Wayne Cordeiro challenges us to start small but start now!

I agree. 

I know you're busy. I know it's cold. I know you might not feel like it. But do whatever it takes to add some physical activity to your life. It might just help lift you out of your depression. 

No comments: