Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What inspires me

I learned something about myself today. Reading good writing inspires me to write. When I read good writing I want to be like those authors. They use words like a great chef uses food. I don’t just read their books. I savor them.

The opposite is also true. Poor writing is uninspiring. Actually, it’s worse. It gives me permission to take short cuts and do half-hearted work.

I’ve read a few great books lately. The Giver series by Lois Lowery is so well written I was depressed when I got to the end of the series. I started Donald Miller’s new book, Scary Close, today. Don is a great writer. His Million Miles in a Thousand Years still ranks as one of the best books I’ve had the privilege to read.

Unfortunately, I’ve also read a few poorly written books lately. I’ll let those popular, yet poorly written works, remain unnamed. I quit reading some of them. And it wasn’t because they had a bad story. The writing wasn’t good, and they couldn’t hold my attention.

Like I said, reading good writing inspires me to write. Hearing good public speaking inspires me to speak better. Learning something new inspires me to share that knowledge.

I don’t know if you ever know what you want to be when you grow up. Life is more like a Polaroid that becomes more focused over time. At least that has been my experience. Things that inspire me give me clarity on who God made me to be.

All of this has me wondering something about you.

What inspires you? Or better yet, what inspires you to do what you were created to do and be who you were created to be?

Why not spend your time there? Why waste your time on things that aren’t helpful?

I want your Polaroid to come into focus.


I also want you to read something good.

No comments: