Sunday, January 01, 2012

Starting off right

Happy new year! Welcome to 2012.

The new year began with my whole family staying up to watch the ball drop. It's the first time in years that I've stayed up till midnight, but I couldn't be outdone by my kids. On the upside, they slept till almost 10 this morning. That has never happened before.

When I got up at 9 this morning I woke up with a desire to do something new in 2012. My incredible sister-in-law gave me an iPad for Christmas. I've decided to make the most of it by using one of youversion's Bible reading plans. I may have bitten off more than I can chew because I chose the "read through the Bible in 90 days" plan. Not sure if I can do it, but I'm going to try. I made it through day one. Only 89 days left. (Stop reading now. Search "youversion" in the app store. Install it and use it. I highly recommend it.)

I'm trying this because I know that my life is the sum of my habits. And the best habit that we could ever develop is that of reading the Bible on a regular basis.

One thing that jumped out to me from today's reading was the messiness of the Bible. I mean, why in the world would God include stories about a brother killing his brother, or a husband claiming that his wife is his sister to keep himself safe. If I were God, and I were putting together the Bible, those are stories that I would have left out.

But God includes the messiness. He works through the messiness. He accomplishes his purposes in spite of the messiness. That is an encouragement to me at the beginning of 2012. May it encourage you also.

No comments: