Monday, January 30, 2012

Groupies

I have a confession to make. I used to be a groupie. No, I didn't follow Phil Collins or the Gratetful Dead. I was worse. I followed preachers.

I followed famous pastors who are great communicators. I even idolized a few. I would listen to all of their messages and worship their cool church and try to be like them. I would even compare my situation, my church and my speaking with theirs. I was a groupie.

I've noticed that I'm not the only one who does this. I see it all the time. I bet some of you are preacher groupies. Their name just popped into your head. You worship the cool dude on the big stage at the "happenin'" church.

And you compare your experience and your church and your pastor to them. And it's not that you're trying to intentionally think that the grass is greener on the other side. It's just that you're a groupie.

You need to do what I did.

You need to repent.

If we're going to be groupies then we need to be groupies of Jesus. Putting anyone else in the place of Jesus is called idolatry.

Jesus is the one who makes all the difference. Jesus is the one who redeems, restores and rescues. Jesus is the one we are to worship and follow.

There are some great communicators out there who are leading some great churches. Learn form them. I do.

Just stop worshipping them. They don't need groupies.

No comments: