Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hearing God's voice continued

I love what Rick says in today's third test for hearing God's voice.

How I've seen this one broken over and over and over again. Someone thinks they've heard from God, but no one confirms it. This is one more reason why relationships and community are so important.

Thoughts? Has there ever been a time when you've gone off following what you thought was God on your own? Have you ever paused long enough to ask others what they think about what God is telling you?

For me, being a church planter was confirmed over and over again. It was confirmed before I even told people what God was saying in my heart. And being a pastor was confirmed even before I had thought about becoming a pastor. It's funny, as I reflect on how I got to where I am how many people God used to confirm and speak his will into my life.

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

That is so wise. But it is so impractical. I think this may be the biggest need for reform in the church in general. People inside the church are almost creepily self-sufficient. More often than not, speaking into someone's life or asking that they participate in yours is almost like a breach of contract-- crossing the line. I don't know if it's that people don't recognize the need or that the risk is just too great. Either way, it's crippling in a major way.