Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ash Wednesday

I'm really excited about how many folks from Hub City are participating in Lent this year. This is a new experience for me. I look forward to seeing what God is going to do to prepare us.

I read the following about confession on Mark Batterson's blog today and wanted to pass it along. It was a good read for the start of this time of Lent.
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. It's a day of repentance. I think of it as a day for deep cleaning. Every once in a while you needa deep cleaning on your carpet or your teeth, right? I think the same is true spiritually.

Did you know that
Martin Luther used to spend up to six hours in confession? When I first read that I remember thinking that either he had lots of sin to confess or I don't know the first thing about confession. I think it's the latter. I think shallow confessions result in a shallow appreciation of God's grace. Many of us have never spent more than six minutes in confession!

When I spend a little extra time in confession I find that God
drills down to my motivations. It allows God to sanctify the deep parts of our hearts and minds.

No comments: